NefMoto ECU Flashing Software
The NefMoto ME7 ECU flasher is a free tool that allows you to read and write the flash memory in your ME7 ECU in car over the OBD port. All that is required is a FTDI based USB OBD cable that works in "dumb" mode. Dumb mode cables pass the raw serial data straight through without applying any higher level protocols. You can find the latest release of the software in the NefMoto Software sub-forum.
- ECUs can be written through the OBD port in about three and half minutes.
- ECUs can be read through the OBD port in about five minutes.
- User defined memory layouts allow for flashing any memory arrangement.
- Writing erases and programs one memory sector at a time to allow you to recover the ECU in case of failure.
- Written and read data is verified with checksums to ensure data was sent correctly.
- Reading and clearing error codes is also supported.
What this software does not do
- Does not update checksums or validate the file you are flashing in any way.
- Does not allow you to edit any maps, value, etc. It is just for flashing.
- 32bit or 64bit Windows XP SP2 or Newer
- (Will work if run inside a virtual Windows machine on Mac and Linux as well)
- .NET 3.5 (installed automatically with Nefmoto ECU flashing software)
- FTDI USB D2XX driver version 2.06.00 or later
- 3 megabytes of free hard drive space
- It seems as though there is a problem that occurs when NefMoto verifies that memory layout on ECUs with REVO or APR installed. Verifying the memory layout on ECUs with these tunes appears to cause a "Programming not finished" error code. This will prevent the car from starting. The only official way to clear this error code is to write a new flash file to your ECU. If you have one of these aftrmarket tunes, backup your EEprom using ArgDub's tool. You can then restore it (in boot mode) in the event of a problem.
Please let Tony know via forum PM or email if you find any more issues.
The Nefmoto ECU flashing software is free to download and use. The latest release can be found here: NefMoto ME7 Flasher Logger
How to install
- Uninstall any previous versions of the NefMoto software before installing the latest version, just to be safe.
- Run the MSI installer downloaded from the NefMoto forum.
- Ensure that you have the FTD2XX driver installed for your specific cable.
- If you have a generic cable, download CDM20600.zip from the same forum post you got the MSI, then extract it and install the generic FTDI D2XX driver.
This section needs some love, please contribute!
- Connect your vehicle's battery to a constant, stable power source. This is vital, if the ECU loses power or voltage dips during any flashing operation recovery may require flashing through ECU Boot Mode or worse.
- Connect your flashing cable to your vehicle's OBD port.
- Turn on your ignition (but do not start the car). If the cable has an LED light it should illuminate.
- Select the memory layout for your ECU.
- At the top of the program choose Fast or Slow Init and Connect
- Choose one of the program options (Read/Write/etc)
- You will notice the activity in the console window
- When your operation is complete, choose Disconnect at the top of the program.
Application Log File
- If you have connection or flashing issues it may be useful to post the debug log of your session to the forum for some help. From the file menu inside the NefMoto software there are multiple menu commands to locate or open the detailed log file. The file itself can be found at: %appdata%\Nefarious Motorsports\NefMotoECUFlasher
Tested supported cables
- eBay USB VAG KKL using the FTDI D2XX standard driver (Non-affiliated eBay stores: 1 2)
- Ross-Tech HEX-USB-CAN using the Ross-Tech FTDI D2XX driver ("boot in intelligent mode" must be unchecked in the VCDS options screen)
- Any dumb OBDII cable using the FTDI USB chip
Tested unsupported cables
- Galletto (Does not support dumb mode)
- KWP2000+ Flasher (Does not support dumb mode)
- Old Ross-Tech KEY-USB (Does not support true dumb mode)
If you want to check what chip is in your cable, or see if it supports NefMoto premium features, you can use the NefMoto ECU Flasher version 220.127.116.11 or later. Just select the USB device and then hover your mouse over it. It will display all of the info about the FTDI chip in the cable and say if it supports premium NefMoto features.
These are the ECUs the NefMoto ECU flashing software has been tested and is supported on. Please feel free to add your own results to this list, or ask someone to update it for you. This list is not complete and the absence of a an ECU from the list does not indicate that it is not supported.
|ECU Number||Make||Year||Car Info||Software||Hardware||Memory Layout||Tested By|
|8D0907551A||Audi||2000||S4 2.7T 6sp||1037 35 2345||0261 206 110||ME7 AM29F800BB||Tony@NefMoto|
|8D0907551B||Audi||2000||S4 2.7T tip||1037 35 2738||0261 206 109||ME7 AM29F800BB||Tony@NefMoto|
|8D0907551L||Audi||2001||S4 2.7T tip||1037 35 4145||0261 207 004||ME7 AM29F800BB||Tony@NefMoto|
|8D0907551H||Audi||2001||S4 2.7T 6sp||1037 35 4774||0261 206 774||ME7 AM29F800BB||Tony@NefMoto|
|8D0907551M||Audi||2001||S4 2.7T 6sp||1037 35 4837||0261 207 143||ME7 AM29F800BB||Tony@NefMoto|
|8D0907551M||Audi||2001||S4 2.7T 6sp||1037 36 0857||0261 207 143||ME7 AM29F800BB||Tony@NefMoto|
|8D0907551AA||Audi||2002||S4 2.7T tip||1037 36 2276||0261 207 453||ME7 AM29F800BB||Tony@NefMoto|
|8D0907551T||Audi||2002||S4 2.7T 6sp||1037 36 2558||0261 207 452||ME7 AM29F800BB||Tony@NefMoto|
|4B0907551K||Audi||2000||A6 2.7T 6sp||1037 35 2413||0261 206 561||ME7 AM29F800BB||j2mc|
|4B0907551L||Audi||2000||A6 2.7T tip||1037 35 2815||0261 206 562||ME7 AM29F800BB||Tony@NefMoto|
|4B0907551T||Audi||2001||A6 2.7T tip||1037 36 0864||0261 207 005||ME7 AM29F800BB||Tony@NefMoto|
|8N0906018AQ||Audi||2001||European TT 1.8T||ME7 AM29F800||ArgDub|
|8N0906018AM||Audi||2002||European TT 1.8T||ME7 AM29F800||ArgDub|
|8N0906018AL||Audi||2002||North American TT 1.8T||ME7 AM29F800||ArgDub|
|8N0906018AP||Audi||2003||European TT 1.8T||ME7 AM29F800||ArgDub|
|8L0906018M||Audi||2000||European TT 1.8T||ME7 AM29F400BB||bofh|
|06A906032HK||Audi||2002||European A3 1.8T||ME7 AM29F800||ArgDub|
|06A906032HN||Audi||2002||European A3 1.8T||ME7 AM29F800||ArgDub|
|06A906032HP||Audi||2002||European A3 1.8T||ME7 AM29F800||ArgDub|
|06A906032HR||Audi||2003||European A3 1.8T||ME7 AM29F800||ArgDub|
|06A906032EN||VW||2001||European Golf/Bora 1.8T||ME7 AM29F800||ArgDub|
|06A906032HJ||VW||2002||European Gof/Bora 1.8T||ME7 AM29F800||ArgDub|
|06A906032HF||VW||2002||North American Golf/Jetta 1.8T Auto||ME7 AM29F800||ArgDub|
|06A906032HS||VW||2002||North American Golf/Jetta 1.8T||ME7 AM29F800||ArgDub|
|06A906032DL||VW||2001||North American Golf/Jetta 1.8T||ME7 AM29F800||Drehkraft|
|06A906032ML||VW||2002||North American Golf/Jetta 1.8T 6-spd||ME7 AM29F800||ArgDub|
|06A906032KP||VW||2003||European Golf/Bora 1.8T||ME7 AM29F800||ArgDub|
|06A906032LP||VW||2003||North American Golf/Jetta 1.8T||ME7 AM29F800||ArgDub|
|06A906032LQ||VW||2003||North American Golf/Jetta 1.8T Auto||ME7 AM29F800BB||ArgDub / KenMac|
|06A906032PL||VW||2003||North American Golf/Jetta 1.8T||ME7 AM29F800BB||ArgDub / KenMac|
|06A906032SJ||SKODA||2005||Octavia vRS 1.8T||1037 369 040||ME7.5 AM29F800||Higgy|